Start Now

I'm excited by a lot of things.
A tasty cup of coffee, a nice day where you can smell the flowers as you pass them on the sidewalk, a fantastic Free People sale, golden hour. There are hundreds of little small things I adore and try to stop and take time to appreciate in the midst of all things hectic about life. It's super easy to just exist without any real comprehension of what is going on around you or how amazing it is that you have made it this far in life and accomplished what you have. Sometimes we forget to pat ourselves on the back when we really need it most.

If you're anything like me, you are a incredibly passionate person and easily excited but it takes something spectacular to TRULY spark your interest.

For years I was so interested in graphic design but had no idea where to start. I didn't have the resources, the experience, or the knowledge to tackle something so new to me. My mind was racing with ideas and images that I was confident I could create if I could just figure out how. So I started where anyone starts... small. I got to know informal and intermediate graphic design software and created a few designs for my personal social media or for my friends. I received great feedback on that so I started designing things for my sorority as the Public Relations Chair. It was exciting and I loved seeing my sorority sisters reposting my designs, showing off my sticker designs on their laptops and telling their friends about it. It occurred to me that I loved to create but also loved to check in and see how each design was doing and do some reflecting and analyzing.

I would ask myself why one design sold more than the others, what types of people were interested in each one, and what the next thing they might be interested in is. It was a new challenge for myself that I was growing an even larger excitement for.

It was then I discovered I could open up this small design hobby I had to an even bigger audience on Redbubble. The funny thing is that I have ordered art from Redbubble several times and never once did I realize that the designs on the site were created by independent artists who were putting their artwork out to be consumed by anyone and everyone. So I started. And a year later and dozens of designs that came from the very back of my imagination and from the requests of friends, I have sold over 1,000 units and have a long way to grow and a lot to learn.

You don't necessarily need to be perfectly set up to know how to start or even wear to start you just have to have a small faint voice in your head telling you that you can do it and that even if you don't have it figured out today that doesn't mean you will never have it figured out. Give yourself time and be patient and hard working and you'll get there. This is coming from a girl still trying to get there. Still pursuing bigger things than my own Redbubble side hustle. Still knowing theres more out there for me.

In the words of Steve Jobs: "stay hungry,  stay foolish"

Some of my best days are the ones posted up in coffee shops letting my mind run wild. Let your mind run wild and see where it takes you.

Comments

Popular Posts